As stated in Board Policy 101, the Board believes that public schools are strengthened when communities are actively engaged in the education process. In support of this belief, the Board is committed to providing advisory committees which allow interested community members to serve and to provide input to the Board in the following areas:
- Board of Education Policy Committee (Adobe PDF File, opens in new window) -- Identifies a process for development of policies and amendments to serve as guidelines for the operation of the school system and the successful, efficient function of the public schools.
- Calendar Committee (Adobe PDF File, opens in new window) – Makes recommendations of a school calendar to the Board with the goals of maximizing consistent instructional time for students, opportunities for professional growth for teachers and increasing student achievement.
- Citizens Advisory Council (CAC) – The Board establishes the CAC as a standing committee which reports directly to the Board and serves as a channel for public concerns, advice and information as identified by the Board. The CAC may also respond to specific requests for research, at the direction of the majority of the Board, and make recommendations on specific topics impacting educational decisions and programs in Frederick County. The CAC exists as a subsidiary of the Board and as such may not act independently of the Board or inconsistently with policy or direction provided by the Board.
- Ethics Panel – Provides advisory opinions, investigates complaints alleging an ethics violation by the Superintendent or a Board member and reports its findings and recommendations for action to the Board, and reviews annual disclosure statements.
- Family Life Advisory Committee (FLAC) – Reviews instructional material to be submitted to the Superintendent for consideration when recommending instructional material to be approved by the Board, taking into consideration the sensitive nature of comprehensive family life and HIV prevention education in schools.
- Frederick County Career and Technology Advisory Council – Serves as the overall career and technology education advisory body for FCPS and Frederick Community College; purpose is to advise, support and foster closer Board Policy 101 Page 2 cooperation and better understanding of career and technology education in industry, community, home and school.
- Frederick County Public Schools Gifts for Education Committee (Adobe PDF File, opens in new window) -- Advises the board on matters pertaining to funds generated through the Endowment Fund, the Donor Restricted Projects Fund and the Current Initiative Fund for the exclusive purpose of meeting educational goals within FCPS to enrich students' learning experiences and ensure the highest quality education.
- Special Education Citizens Advisory Committee (SECAC) - Advises the Special Education Department and the Board regarding the needs of students with disabilities within FCPS.
Board Committee Vacancies
The Calendar Committee is not accepting vacancy applications at this time.
The Ethics committee is not accepting vacancy applications at this time.
Citizens Advisory Council
The Citizens Advisory Council (CAC) seeks members to fill council vacancies. Representatives from the Brunswick, Catoctin, Linganore, Middletown and Walkersville feeder areas* are especially encouraged to apply; others may also apply. The CAC reports directly to the Board and serves as a channel for public concerns, advice and information as identified by the Board. The CAC may also respond to specific requests for research, at the direction of the majority of the Board, and make recommendations on specific topics impacting educational decisions and programs in Frederick County. The CAC is comprised of a maximum of 25 voting community members. Members serve 2-year terms and may re-apply.
Please complete the Citizens Advisory Council Application form (opens in a new window) by Friday, September 15, 2017. Contact Debbie Wachter-Harne, firstname.lastname@example.org or (301) 696-6850 if you have any questions.
Family Life Advisory Committee
The Board of Education of Frederick County (BOE) is seeking representatives to serve two-year terms on its Family Life Advisory Committee. The Committee needs to fill the following vacancies:
Catoctin High feeder area* – 1
Middletown High feeder area* – 1
Student Member - 1
The committee examines all instructional materials proposed for use in the Family Life and HIV and AIDS-prevention units and makes recommendations to the BOE. It also consults with the educators charged with developing, implementing and evaluating the program.
Please complete the Family Life Advisory Committee form (opens in a new window) by Friday, September 15, 2017. Contact Debbie Wachter-Harne, email@example.com or 301-696-6850, if you have any questions
*A feeder area includes the high school, middle schools and elementary schools whose students will ultimately attend, or “feed into,” it.