2014-2015 School Year Calendar Proposal
This calendar was prepared based on recommendations received from representatives of the Calendar Committee comprised of FCPS staff; parents; a student member; and PTSA, FASSE, FCASA, and FCTA representatives. In addition, feedback was received from both community forums and Twitter Town Hall comments were considered.
Features of the recommended calendar are:
- Students attend school 180 days.
- Teachers work 190 days. On the additional days when school is not in session teachers will work on student assessments, prepare lessons, evaluate student work, and engage in professional development.
- Parent conferences are scheduled for the fall only and will include elementary and middle school students. Conference dates are:
- November 24: Evening Conferences (Elementary and middle schools will be closed in the morning with students attending school in the afternoon.)
- November 25: Afternoon Conferences (Elementary and middle school students will attend school in the morning and be dismissed 3.5 hours early.)
- Thanksgiving break is scheduled for November 26 through November 28.
- Winter Break begins December 24 and schools reopen January 5.
- Spring Break begins April 3 for students and teachers with schools reopening on April 13.
- There are five snow days built into the calendar.
- Teachers report August 12 and students report August 18. The last day of school is June 11 for students and June 12 for teachers (including five snow days).
- September 19 (Fair Day) is a scheduled day off.
The Board plans to make a decision on the calendar at the December 18 meeting. In doing so the Board will consider public input, along with several other critical factors. To provide your feedback on the calendar proposal, please email email@example.com with any comments, suggestions or questions.