Charles E. Tressler Distinguished Teacher Award
Named for a former member of the Hood College faculty who encouraged young people to enter the profession of teaching, the Charles E. Tressler Distinguished Teacher Award is presented annually to honor distinguished teaching in Frederick County Public Schools. This award, which recognizes an FCPS teacher who has had a significant impact on young people, is sponsored by Hood College and was established through a gift from the late Samuel Eig of Gaithersburg, MD.
The 2016 winner was Michael Franklin, a physical education teacher at Catoctin High.
The FCPS Communication Services Department coordinates the nomination and selection process before forwarding materials to Hood College. The 2017 nomination period will open February 1. We welcome nominations from current and former students, teachers and support staff, parents, community members and administrators and supervisors.
Please send your nomnination to Mindy Bankey, Communication Services, 191 South East Street no later than 3 PM Friday, March 24, 2017.
A screening committee of FCPS administrators and other staff will review the nominations and select a winner using a rubric evaluation system. The winner will be notified in early May.
Communication Services Department
191 South East Street
Frederick, MD 21701
Deadline For Nominations
Submit a completed nomination package (above) electronically to Mindy Bankey no later than 3 PM Friday, March 24, 2017.
How to Nominate a Teacher
Complete eligibility and criteria are outlined in the nomination brochure. Nomination packets must contain all of the following:
- The completed nomination brochure with the signature of the nominee's principal.
- A career summary, maximum 2 pages, that includes:
- Name, address and telephone number
- Educational history, including schools, degrees and majors
- Teaching experience including location, assignment and years
- Professional and community involvement
- Awards and accolades
- A typewritten summary, maximum 2 pages, outlining how the nominee has made a significant impact on the lives of young people. Be sure to include concrete examples