Sabbaticals - Support
The purpose of a sabbatical leave is to enable an educational support employee to pursue an activity that would benefit the school system in obtaining teacher certification.
- Applications are due no later than December 1 of the preceding school year (i.e. Dec 1, 2017 for sabbatical requests for the 2018-2019 school year).
- Upon recommendation of the Superintendent, sabbatical leave will be granted to a maximum of five (5) applicants per year. Requests for sabbatical leave must be received in writing by the Senior Human Resources Manager between July 1 and December 1 of the preceding year for which the leave is requested. All applications will receive equal consideration regardless of when submitted within the above time frame.
- No applicant with an unsatisfactory rating on the prior year’s evaluation will be considered.
- To be eligible, an educational support employee must have completed six (6) full years of active service in the Frederick County Public School System. An educational support employee who has completed a sabbatical will be considered only after applicants who have not had a sabbatical.
- An applicant who intends to study must register for a minimum of 12 semester hours per semester unless an exception is granted by the Senior Human Resources Manager for Talent Competency.When the sabbatical is completed, the educational support employee shall present to the Senior Human Resources Manager adequate verification of the work or experience completed.
- An educational support employee on sabbatical leave for either one-half of the school year or for a full school year, will be paid by the Board at 50% of the salary rate which the employee would have received if the employee had remained on active duty provided that the educational support employee agrees to return to employment with the Frederick County Public School System for a period of one (1) year. Should the educational support employee not return to the service of the Board, the educational support employee will be required to refund the salary granted for sabbatical leave.
- Upon return from sabbatical leave, the educational support employee will be placed on the salary schedule at the level which the educational support employee would have achieved had the employee remained actively employed in the school system during the period of absence.
- Tuition reimbursement shall be available to any educational support employee on a sabbatical that has not received the maximum reimbursement for the fiscal year and who meets the following criteria:
- The educational support employee must submit a course approval form to the Senior Human Resources Manager for approval of course work prior to enrollment.
- The maximum reimbursement for the fiscal year shall not exceed $3,500.
- Tuition reimbursement for educational support employees will be processed as described in Article 8.3 of the Non-Supervisory Support Employee Unit Negotiated Agreement.