FCPS provides free public education to eligible Frederick County students ages 4-21. Students are assigned to schools based on their home location. Children who attend a childcare center may attend the school that serves the center unless that school is restricted to out-of-district students due to overcrowding or is in its first year of operation (here's the latest Restricted Schools List).

To Register

To register a student, visit the office of the school your child will attend (here's a link to find your local school). You need to provide these things to your child's school:

  1. Enrollment Form: English Spanish
  2. Immunization and health records (provide: Department of Health and Mental Hygiene form 896 Immunization Certificate and documentation of a recent physical exam, recorded on the Maryland Schools Record of Physical Examination).
  3. Proof of date of birth (provide one of these: Birth certificate, physician's certificate, hospital certificate, baptismal or church certificate, parent's affidavit, or passport/visa)
  4. Proof of residency (provide one of these: current property tax bill, current rental bill, current utility bill for water, gas, or electric)

When a child doesn't live in a home owned or leased by the parent/guardian, the owner/leaser must provide the following to verify the parent/guardian and child reside at that address: signed, notarized affidavit and proof of residency (current tax bill, current rental bill, current utility bill).

FCPS may obtain discipline and expulsion records when a student transfers from another school system. The superintendent may deny admission to a student who is currently expelled from another school system for a period of time equal to the expulsion.

FCPS Regulation 400-7 provides further information about enrolling a student. You may also contact Student Support Services. FCPS also has an International Office to help non-English speaking families.


  • Are new immigrants or international students
  • Are bilingual or whose family is bilingual or not yet able to speak standard English
  • Have international or foreign transcripts that FCPS needs to evaluate for high school credits

In any of the above situations, please make an appointment as indicated below:

  • Grades kindergarten, 1 - 8, call Marisa Sedillo 240-236-8761 (Spanish language: 240-236-8762) to schedule an appointment
  • Grades 9, 10, 11 and 12, call Allison Davis 240-236-7041 to schedule an appointment
  • During enrollment through the International Office, students will take a placement test called W-APT to determine their level of English proficiency.

When enrolling a student, the FCPS International office can provide notary services and help check and fill out all the paperwork needed at school:

  • Enrollment form
  • Proof of Birth
  • Proof of Residency
  • Immunization Record
  • Guardianship (if any)
  • Home Language Survey
  • Permission for Placement

Additional forms for grades 6-12 only

  • Math level
  • Accommodations form
  • School records
  • Curriculum history
  • Special bus request form (if applicable)
  • School Contract/Course Plan

English Language Learner (ELL) services are not mandatory for any student.  However, by federal and state law, FCPS is required to offer them.

Here is a link with directions to the FCPS International Office:
191 Waverley Drive, Portable 2
Frederick, MD 21702

Additional information


FCPS offers pre-kindergarten to all students eligible for free or reduced-price meals. To enter Pre-K, a child must turn 4 years old on or before September 1 of a given year. Applications are available at all elementary schools; FCPS begins accepting applications Monday, March 13, 2017 for the 2017-2018 school year. Enrollment is limited. Click here for more information on pre-kindergarten.

If you are planning to enroll your child with automatic priority status based on free or reduced-price meal eligibility, bring ONE of these: three consecutive pay stubs from the past six months OR a W2 form showing the prior year's earnings OR a letter from an employer or social services agency (on letterhead) stating the applicant's family income OR foster care documentation.

Bus service is provided to Pre-K students eligible for transportation under FCPS Policy 441 who live in the attendance area of schools where classes are offered. Parents are responsible for the transportation of students whose walking route to and from the school is 1.25 miles or less or who live outside the attendance area of the school where the classes are held.


All FCPS kindergarten programs are full day, most starting at 9 a.m. and dismissing around 3:30 p.m. To enter kindergarten in August, a child must turn 5 years old on or before September 1 of that calendar year. Children entering first grade must have completed public kindergarten or have been approved for entry by FCPS. Registration for the 2017-2018 school year begins Monday, March 13, 2017. Whenever possible, parents are encouraged to register their children well in advance of the first day of school so that schools and teachers are prepared to accommodate enrollment.

Parents who do not wish to enroll a 5-year-old in a kindergarten or other approved program may request a 1-year waiver (Waiver Form | Waiver Form in Spanish). At the end of the waiver year, the student will enter kindergarten rather than first grade. For more information, contact Student Support Services.

Early Entrance to Kindergarten

Children can be considered for early entrance to kindergarten if they're born 45 days after the regular kindergarten cutoff. Call your home school to discuss this option. The application process opens Monday, March 13, 2017 for the 2017-2018 school year. You'll need to submit information to the office of Early Childhood Education (no later than May 30) to be considered.

Immunizations and Health Records

The following are required to enroll a student in a Maryland public school for the first time.

Exemptions from immunizations, a physical examination and blood lead testing are permitted if they are contrary to a students' or family's religious beliefs. Students may also be exempted from immunization requirements if a physician/nurse practitioner or health department official certifies that there is a medical reason for the student not to receive a vaccine.

Lack of these records may cause delayed enrollment or exclusion from school. For assistance in obtaining immunizations or a physical examination, please contact the health staff in your child's school or contact FCPS Health Services.

FCPS encourages medical and dental exams for students entering middle school to help identify health concerns that may affect educational performance. All students who participate in interscholastic sports must have a physical exam before the sport begins.

Out-of-District Transfers

Parents or guardians who want their child to attend a school outside their assigned attendance area should review our recently updated Out of District Transfer information prior to completing the application.

Non-resident students

Students who come to Frederick County to live with persons other than a parent or legal guardian must complete an Application to Enroll and may be charged tuition. Students under 18 years of age who are establishing residency by changing guardianship or custody must present a document signed by the court.

Students in State-Supervised Care

State law and regulations govern the transfer of educational records for students who are in the custody of, committed to or otherwise placed by a placement agency, such as a local department of social services. For more information, contact Student Support Services.

Student Information Card

School offices maintain a Student Information Card for every child and refer to it anytime there is a question, concern or emergency. The form is printed with previously supplied information for each student and sent home at the beginning of the school year to be reviewed, corrected and returned.

Schools also request that you fill out a Health Information Card for your child. We send this form home at the start of every school year or when you enroll.


FCPS does not have insurance coverage for students' personal property. Students are responsible for their personal property. Limited student accident insurance may be purchased through a company approved to offer the program through Maryland schools. A football accident policy is also available. Consult with your insurance agent to see if policies you already hold provide adequate coverage. FCPS does not endorse these programs and does not handle claims or associated problems.

The Maryland Children's Health Program offers health insurance for children up to age 19 and pregnant women of any age from low to average income families. Applications are available in school health rooms or by contacting the Frederick County Health Department.