American Red Cross Lifeguard Training
FREE to those who successfully complete training and agree to work for Frederick County Public Schools for one calendar year.
Walkersville High School Swimming Pool
4:30 - 8 PM all of the following days: Monday October 4, Tuesday October 5, Thursday October 7, Monday October 11, Tuesday October 12, Thursday October 14
Testing: Tuesday October 19 at 4:30 PM
Prior to enrollment in the course, participants must successfully complete the pre-course skills assessment. Assessments will take place on Thursday September 30 @ 4:30 pm at Walkersville High School Pool.
- Swim 300 yards Non-stop of freestyle and breaststroke (Must demonstrate rhythmic breathing during this – goggles permitted)
- A 10-pound brick retrieval including: NO GOGGLES
- Swim 20 yards to location of 10-pound object
- Surface dive to a depth of 7–10 feet
- Return to the surface with a 10-pound object
- Swim 20 yards back to the starting point
- Tread water without the use of arms for 2 minutes
Please purchase an adult and infant resuscitation mask (required). You may want to consider also purchasing a fanny pack and whistle. (not required for class, but you will need when working). This is an example of what is needed. They can be purchased from anywhere as long as there are 2 masks.