Home Instruction (Home Schooling)

What is Home Instruction (Home Schooling)?

Parents/guardians may choose to educate their children at home rather than enrolling in a traditional public or private school. The parent provides regular and thorough instruction during the school year in the subjects usually taught in the public schools to children of the same age. The parent or guardian selects and purchases the home school curriculum and materials to be used. Home instruction must be supervised by the FCPS home school office or by a private organization registered with the Maryland State Department of Education. Evidence of instruction in all of the following areas is required: English, mathematics, science, social studies, art, music, health and physical education.

Resources to build knowledge about Maryland home instruction regulations:


Home Instruction Office
33 Thomas Johnson Drive
Frederick, MD  21702
Fax:  301-644-5246
Email: homeinstruction@fcps.org

Laura Ritchie
Home Instruction Monitor

(301) 644-4012

Joseph Burau
Home Instruction Monitor

(301) 644-5244

Lee Jeffrey
Home Instruction Monitor

How is this different than Virtual Learning?

Students who transfer to home schooling are no longer considered an enrolled student with FCPS, therefore they will not have access to the virtual learning materials, equipment and programs that FCPS provides. This means there will be no access to Schoology for students transferred to home schooling.

Virtual Learning is the current delivery of instruction for FCPS enrolled students. Students are offered the option to participate in a FCPS sponsored on-line distance learning program and do not have to physically attend school. Students are accountable for attendance and coursework. They receive grades, credits and/or report cards.

How do I transfer to Home Instruction?

Complete a Home Instruction Notification form.

Be sure to note your oversight options: either FCPS oversight or select a Non-public Entity Registered to Supervise Home Instruction. A list of these programs can be found here:

Non-public Entities Registered to Supervise Home Instruction (Umbrella)

Submit your form via email to homeinstruction@fcps.org (preferred)

or US Mail:

Home Instruction Office
ATTN: Notification
33 Thomas Johnson Drive
Frederick, MD 21702

If you are current FCPS student, please return any equipment (computer, Chromebook, Mobile Hotspot) to your child’s school.

Can I return to FCPS schools if we move to a hybrid or face-to-face instructional model?

Students may return to their public school at any time, however, be sure to contact the school’s front office in advance to obtain re-enrollment and re-entry information. Homeschool students who want to transfer back to a public school will have their homeschool portfolio materials, etc., evaluated by the school principal to determine placement and transfer credits. Please refer to FCPS Regulation 400-49 for details on this process.

I am home schooling under FCPS oversight, what can I expect from a portfolio review?

Portfolio Review Information

PORTFOLIO REVIEWS FOR SCHOOL YEAR 2020-2021: Due to continued health and safety concerns, and until further notice, all portfolio reviews will be electronic/email/mail-in reviews. Email is the best way to submit portfolio review materials. Two reviews are required each year. The first review will be completed by January 2021, and the second review will be completed by June 2021. Your monitor will contact you directly with directives for reviews.

Semester 1 Review Options:

  • Option 1: Portfolio Summary Review Form: Email/or mail a completed Portfolio Summary Review Form: Fillable PDF | MS Word.
  • Option 2: Transcripts/Grade Reports: Email/scan/or mail photograph copies of a transcript/grades/progress report received from the organization/college/program/co-op (i.e. Penn Foster, Liberty, Keystone, ABEKA etc.) your child is working with.
  • Option 3: Electronic Portfolio: Email/scan/mail/photograph a few samples of relevant materials for each subject.

SEMESTER 2 REVIEW OPTIONS will be posted in January.

Home Instruction Monitors

Your monitor will contact you directly with directives for reviews.