Kindergarten Early Entrance
A child must turn five years of age between September 2 and October 16.
The application process for the 2020-2021 school year is now closed. FCPS is no longer accepting online applications.
Updates for the 2021-2022 school year will be posted here April 1, 2021.
Revised Process for 2020-2021
- Review the video that will walk you through the process.
- Complete the online parent application. Submit the completed online parent application to the following email address: email@example.com by Monday, July 27, 2020.
- Once the Early Childhood Education Office receives the completed online parent application, we will contact you to schedule the assessment.
- If the Covid-19 guidelines set forth by the state of Maryland allow, the assessment will be held at FCPS Staff Development Center @ 44 W. Frederick Street, Walkersville, MD on the following dates: August 3-6 and August 10-13.
- It is not necessary for children to study or prepare for the early entry assessment.
- The assessment will take approximately 1 hour and will be administered by a trained examiner.
- The assessment is administered only 1 time to each child. Child cannot be retested for any reason.
- The assessment includes a variety of activities that measure each child’s ability in the following domains: Reading/Language Arts, Mathematical Thinking, Personal and Social Emotional Development.
- Parents will be notified within 2 business days of the assessment results by email through the Early Childhood Education Office
- Regulation 400-89 - Kindergarten Early Entrance
- Regulation 400-95 – Kindergarten Enrollment/Registration
- Regulation 500-10 Placement and Promotion of Students
- Policy 430 Age Requirements
- MD Early Learning Standards
- Developmental Milestones
- Fitting the Pieces Together: Parent Information Guide in English for Pre-Kindergarten
- Fitting the Pieces Together: Parent Information Guide in Spanish for Pre-Kindergarten
- Fitting the Pieces Together: Parent Information Guide in English for Kindergarten
- Fitting the Pieces Together: Parent Information Guide in Spanish for Kindergarten
- Ready @ Five - Parent tips, parent-child activities, school readiness resources, and other information is included in this site to support families in promoting school readiness.
- ReadyRosie - This is a FREE app for families with children from birth to 5 years old living in Frederick County. Sign up is easy and each week you will receive by text or email, brief videos modeling activities you can do with your child to encourage school readiness.