Kindergarten Early Entrance
A child must turn five years of age between September 2 and October 16. More information coming soon.
The application process for the 2020-2021 school year, originally scheduled to begin at schools on Thursday, March 19th, is postponed until further notice. FCPS will notify the public when applications will become available.
At that time, parents may go to their child's home school and ask for the application packet. Not sure of your child's home school? Check the boundary maps or contact Student Services at 301-644-5238.
The following completed information from the application packet must be returned in order to be considered for testing:
- Application completed by the parents.
- Completed Early Entrance to Kindergarten Screening Form (to be completed by child's preschool teacher).
- Letter from parent(s)/guardian(s) explaining why they feel the child is ready for kindergarten.
- Also, the parent(s)/guardian(s) must meet with the school principal to discuss the early entry process, prior to the child being tested.
The Department of Early Childhood Education sends all acceptance/denial letters at the same time. Letters will be mailed out the week of June 15, 2020.
- Regulation 400-89 - Kindergarten Early Entrance
- Regulation 400-95 – Kindergarten Enrollment/Registration
- Regulation 500-10 Placement and Promotion of Students
- Policy 430 Age Requirements
- https://pd.kready.org/data/ck/sites/115/files/Ready for Kindergarten Common Language Standards.pdf
- Developmental Milestones
- Fitting the Pieces Together: Parent Information Guide in English for Pre-Kindergarten
- Fitting the Pieces Together: Parent Information Guide in Spanish for Pre-Kindergarten
- Fitting the Pieces Together: Parent Information Guide in English for Kindergarten
- Fitting the Pieces Together: Parent Information Guide in Spanish for Kindergarten
- Ready @ Five - Parent tips, parent-child activities, school readiness resources, and other information is included in this site to support families in promoting school readiness.
- ReadyRosie - This is a FREE app for families with children from birth to 5 years old living in Frederick County. Sign up is easy and each week you will receive by text or email, brief videos modeling activities you can do with your child to encourage school readiness.