The application process for the 2018-2019 school year begins on March 19, 2018.
The FCPS Pre-Kindergarten program is a state-funded program for 4 year olds who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Child must be four years old on or before September 1st of the current school year
- Child must reside in Frederick County
- Children whose families qualify under the Free and Reduced-Price Meal income guidelines and children who are homeless or in foster care receive automatic placement into the Pre-Kindergarten program.
Is Pre-Kindergarten Mandatory?
No, pre-kindergarten is not a mandatory program for all students in Maryland. Because of this, pre-kindergarten is not available in every Frederick County elementary school. Elementary schools without a pre-kindergarten program are paired with a nearby school that offers a pre-kindergarten program. See Paired School List.
If you are unsure of your child's home school, you can look at the boundary maps or contact Student Services at (301) 644-5238.
Pre-Kindergarten Application Process
Application packets are available each year at your child’s home school or paired school. See Paired School List. Before your application is considered, the home school or paired school must receive your completed application along with the following documentation:
- Copy of your child’s birth certificate
- Current Immunization Records
- Proof of residence in Frederick County – please provide one of the following:
- Current utility bill (electric/water/gas)
- Tax bill (homeowner)
- Signed lease agreement (renter)
- Not Accepted: phone bills, cable bills, or driver's license
Coordinator of Early Childhood Education and Judy Center
Household Income Verification
If you think you qualify under the Free and Reduced-Price Meal (FARM) income guidelines, total Household Gross Income must be verified to qualify for Automatic Placement in pre-kindergarten. Household Gross Income MUST be documented by providing one of the following for EACH Household Member receiving income:
- Food Supplemental Program (FSP) Letter of Verification
- Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA) Letter of Verification
- Three consecutive paystubs within the past six months for each job
- W-2 form(s) from last year for each job or Federal Tax Return
- Other: Schedule C/1099 (if self-employed), a letter on letterhead from your employer(s) stating your income, child support and court order or letter, unemployment, disability income, etc.
Priority for Pre-Kindergarten Enrollment
Automatically Accepted – Free and Reduced-Price Meal (FARM), Homeless, Foster Care
High Priority for Acceptance – Documented Disability, English Language Learners (ELL)
- If your child has a documented disability, please provide a current Individual Education Plan (IEP) form.
Low Priority for Acceptance – Other risk factors for school readiness
Pre-Kindergarten Bus Transportation
When children reside outside of their regular school attendance area (paired school situation), parents are responsible for transporting their child.
See FCPS Policy 441 (opens in new window) for details.
Pre-kindergarten is a 1/2 day program – Monday through Friday. Whether your child will be a morning or an afternoon student is decided at the school level, prior to the beginning of the school year.
Pre-Kindergarten Out of District Requests
- Pre-kindergarten Out of District Forms are available at your child’s home school or paired school.
- Once your completed pre-kindergarten application has been received and the priority level has been determined, the home school or paired school will forward the request to the Early Childhood Education Office.
- In mid-August, pre-kindergarten enrollment numbers and space availability will be reviewed to determine if Out of District Requests can be considered; Automatics are given first priority.
- The home school or paired school will notify the family if their Out of District request was approved or declined. If approved, the family is responsible for transportation of their child to the Out of District school.