Getting married is a qualifying event, and allows for you to make certain benefit changes. If you get married, you are able to cover your new spouse and step-children on FCPS’s health and dental plan within 30 days of the marriage date. If you miss the window, you must wait until the Open Enrollment period.

To enroll a new spouse, simply provide a copy of the marriage license, and complete the medical insurance Enrollment form. Both items must be submitted to the Benefits Office within the 30 day time period for processing. Also, if you are covering dependent step-children, please provide a copy of their birth certificate or legal court documents to the Benefits Office for processing.

You are also able to begin or modify your Health and/or Dependent Care Flexible Spending account. Simply complete the FSA Form and submit to the Benefits Office within the 30 day window. More details are included on the Healthcare Flexible Spending tab or the Depending Care Flexible spending tab.

You may want to consider updating your FCPS Life Insurance beneficiaries through Employee Self Service as well as updating your beneficiary with the MD State Retirement Agency by completing Form 4. This form is submitted to the  Benefits Office.