Paid COVID-19 Sick Leave Frequently Asked Questions
As part of the Board of Education of Frederick County’s ongoing effort to support employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, an agreement was reached through a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Frederick County Teachers Association (FCTA), the Frederick Association of School Support Employees (FASSE), and the Frederick County Administrative and Supervisory Association (FCASA) regarding a number of COVID-19 issues, which were presented, addressed, and memorialized by the parties.
One issue addressed by the MOU includes the availability of paid COVID-19 Sick Leave for eligible employees. Section 8 of the MOU reads, in part:
An employee will be provided paid COVID-19 sick leave if the employee is unable to work (or unable to telework) due to a need for leave because the employee:
has been advised by a health care provider or local health department guidelines to self-quarantine related to COVID-19; or
is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and is seeking a medical diagnosis.
Note: Employees are not eligible for paid leave for travel related quarantine, but may take their own leave, leave without pay during the quarantine, or return to work upon obtaining a negative COVID-19 test result.
This provision is subject to re-evaluation by the parties to this agreement every 30 days, starting March 31, 2021, for the first re-evaluation, to review associated costs and compliance. If costs and compliance are unacceptable, this provision may be terminated with 30 days’ notice after the last review.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is paid COVID-19 Sick Leave, and when is it available?
- This paid leave may be used by an employee who is unable to work on site or telework based upon criteria outlined in Section 8 of the MOU.
- The need for leave is based upon the employee’s own condition or situation.
- Paid COVID-19 Sick Leave is available effective February 3, 2021, the date the MOU was signed by the parties.
2. Under what circumstances may I request paid COVID-19 Sick Leave?
- You have COVID-19;
- You are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and are seeking a diagnosis and/or treatment for COVID-19; and/or
- You have been advised by a health care provider or the Frederick County (or other governmental) Health Department to self-quarantine.
3. Who is eligible for paid COVID-19 Sick Leave?
- All active status benefited employees;
- All currently assigned Resident Substitutes and Long-Term Substitutes (not part of the MOU but the leave benefit is also extended to these employees); and
- All currently assigned non-benefited custodians and special education instructional assistants (not part of the MOU but the leave benefit is also extended to these employees).
4. What is the process for submitting a request for paid COVID-19 Sick Leave?
- Complete a Leave Request Form. This is the same form you use for submitting other leave. It is available through Employee Self-Service/Form Finders, or it can be accessed by clicking on the highlighted link.
- Identify paid COVID-19 Sick Leave as the reason for your absence.
- Complete an Affirmation for Paid COVID-19 Sick Leave Form. This form is available through Employee Self-Service/Form Finders, or it can be accessed by clicking on the highlighted link.
- Submit both forms to your supervisor.
5. How much paid COVID-19 Sick Leave may I request?
- Up to ten (10) paid COVID-19 Sick Leave days are allotted for you to use based upon the current recommendation for quarantine by local and federal health officials. In the event this recommendation changes, this allotment will be reviewed and possibly modified.
6. Where can I find more information about paid COVID-19 Sick Leave?