Tuition & Education
The Frederick County Public Schools system (FCPS) strives to hire, support, and retain staff who champion individual, professional, and student excellence. All benefited FCPS employees are eligible for a tuition reimbursement benefit for coursework taken while employed with FCPS. Eligibility for reimbursement is based on the assigned bargaining unit of the employee and the negotiated agreements for those units. For specific information on programs and procedures for tuition reimbursement by unit, see below.
Tuition Benefits Overview
- For Administrators/AMT Staff
- For Teachers/Certificated Staff
- For Support Staff
- Frequently Asked Questions
Direct Pay Partnerships
FCPS has partnership arrangements with
- Frederick Community College (Support only)
- Frostburg State University
- Hood College
- McDaniel College
- Mount St. Mary's University
- Trinity Washington University
- University of Maryland University College (UMUC)
- University of Phoenix
For employees enrolled in coursework at our partner schools, FCPS will be billed tuition directly by the partner school. Employees must receive approval to participate before enrolling in coursework and will be billed only for non-eligible fees or expenses, or tuition in excess of the employees tuition benefit.
For details on Direct Pay
- Direct Pay Program Information
- Direct Pay Program Deadlines
- If your college or university is not a participating direct pay partner, you will receive instructions on how to request tuition reimbursement when you receive approval for your coursework.
Requesting Tuition Benefits
All of our negotiated contracts require approval prior to enrolling in coursework. You cannot receive tuition reimbursement without prior coursework approval. We verify coursework requested meets specific requirements as determined by COMAR (for certificated staff) and progresses the employee’s skills in either the current job or for promotional purposes at FCPS. If there are concerns about a course selection, you will be notified with the reason why and offered some alternative suggestions.