As stated in Board Policy 101, the Board believes that public schools are strengthened when communities are actively engaged in the education process. In support of this belief, the Board is committed to providing advisory committees which allow interested community members to serve and to provide input to the Board in the following areas: (see vacancies below):
- Board of Education Policy Committee -- To identify a process for development of policies and amendments to serve as guidelines for the operation of the school system and the successful, efficient function of the public schools.
- Calendar Committee -- Makes recommendations of a school calendar to the Board with the goals of maximizing consistent instructional time for students, opportunities for professional growth for teachers and increasing student achievement.
- Citizens Advisory Council (CAC) -- The Board establishes the CAC as a standing committee which reports directly to the Board and serves as a channel for public concerns, advice and information as identified by the Board. The CAC may also respond to specific requests for research, at the direction of the majority of the Board, and make recommendations on specific topics impacting educational decisions and programs in Frederick County. The CAC exists as a subsidiary of the Board and as such may not act independently of the Board or inconsistently with policy or direction provided by the Board.
- Curriculum and Instruction Committee -- Reviews new curriculum, instructional programs, state or federal legislation which affects curriculum, instricution or school administration, and provides recommendations as appropriate to the Board.
- Ethics Panel – Provides advisory opinions, investigates complaints alleging an ethics violation by the Superintendent or a Board member and reports its findings and recommendations for action to the Board, and reviews annual disclosure statements.
- Family Life Advisory Committee (FLAC) -- Reviews instructional material to be submitted to the Superintendent for consideration when recommending instructional material to be approved by the Board, taking into consideration the sensitive nature of comprehensive family life and HIV prevention education in schools.
- Frederick County Career and Technology Advisory Council -- Serves as the overall career and technology education advisory body for FCPS and Frederick Community College; purpose is to advise, support and foster closer Board Policy 101 Page 2 cooperation and better understanding of career and technology education in industry, community, home and school.
- Frederick County Public Schools Gifts for Education Committee -- Advises the board on matters pertaining to funds generated through the Endowment Fund, the Donor Restricted Projects Fund and the Current Initiative Fund for the exclusive purpose of meeting educational goals within FCPS to enrich students' learning experiences and ensure the highest quality education.
- Investment Committee -- The purpose of the Investment Committee is to manage the investment of funds in the FCPS employees' Other Post-Employment Benefits (OPEB) trust fund. The committee will hire an outside professional investment manager to assist them in this process. The committee is responsible for ensuring the funds are invested in accordance with the BOE Investment Policy.
- Racial Equity Committee -- The Racial Equity Committee will focus on identifying discrimination or harassment, raising awareness of implicit bias, and eliminating or mitigating racial inequity or its effects across the entire school system. The Racial Equity Committee will make recommendations to the Board on aspects related to racial equity and the equity policy within all educational programs of Frederick County Public Schools (FCPS).
- Special Education Citizens Advisory Committee (SECAC) -- Advises the Special Education Department and the Board regarding the needs of students with disabilities within FCPS.
Board of Education Policy Committee
The Board of Education Policy Committee is not accepting vacancy applications at this time.
The Calendar Committee is not accepting vacancy applications at this time.
Citizens Advisory Council
The Citizens Advisory Council is not accepting vacancy applications at this time.
Curriculum and Instruction Committee
The Curriculum and Instruction Committee is not accepting vacancy applications at this time.
Ethics Panel Vacancies
The Ethics Panel has two openings for volunteers to serve a three-year term that begins July 1, 2020 and ends June 30, 2023. Appointees advise on ethics issues and review financial disclosure statements. The panel meets about three times per school year to fulfill responsibilities under the Maryland Ethics Law and Board Policy 109; see details: https://apps.fcps.org/legal/doc.php?number=109.
It is expected that members attend regularly scheduled meetings, which typically occur during the day. FCPS employees are not eligible to serve.
To apply, email a letter of interest, relevant background information and contact information by Monday, June 22, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the above vacancies, contact BOE Executive Assistant Kathryn M. Fostik, 301-696-6917.
Family Life Advisory Committee
The Family Life Advisory Committee is not accepting vacancy applications at this time.
Frederick County Career and Technology Advisory Council
The Frederick County Career and Technology Advisory Council is not accepting vacancy applications at th is time.
Frederick County Public Schools Gifts for Education Committee
The Frederick County Public Schools Gifts for Education Committee is not accepting proposals at this time.
Investment Committee Vacancies
The Board of Education of Frederick County announces a vacancy on its Other Post-Employment Benefits (OPEB) Trust Fund Investment Committee.
The Investment Committee has an opening beginning July 1, 2020 for a Frederick County Public Schools (FCPS) retiree. Member terms are staggered and last two years.
Members are expected to attend quarterly scheduled meetings, which typically occur during the day at Central Office or by teleconference. The committee may also schedule other ad-hoc meetings throughout the year, as needed.
The Board seeks an FCPS retiree with knowledge of investing funds. To apply, email a letter of interest, contact information and relevant experience by Wednesday, June 10, 2020 to email@example.com.
Racial Equity Committee
The Racial Equity Committee is not accepting vacancy applications at this time.
Special Education Citizens Advisory Committee (SECAC)
The Special Education Citizens Advisory Committee (SECAC) is open to new members.
SECAC is an active group of Frederick County citizens committed to evaluating local special education services and advising the FCPS Office of Special Education and Psychological Services, as well as the Board of Education of Frederick County, on ways to improve the performance and achievement of children with disabilities. For additional information about the Special Education Citizens Advisory Committee, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Special Education Department at 301-644-5281.
If interested in being considered for membership, please complete the application found here and return it to email@example.com by Saturday, August 15, 2020. You may also print the application and mail it to Special Education and Psychological Services, Frederick County Public Schools, 191 S. East St., Frederick, MD 21701.
Please provide any relevant information that you feel is beneficial for SECAC to consider. Feel free to attach additional pages, if additional space is needed.
If selected, members are expected to attend monthly SECAC meetings from 6-8 PM.