- If your child attended Pre-K at the home school you will not need to re-enroll.
- If your child attended Out of District for their Pre-K program – you will need to re-enroll for the upcoming academic year.
You may enroll your student by using the secure online enrollment portal.
If you are unable to enroll your student using our online portal, you may download an official FCPS Enrollment Form and return to your student’s school.
All FCPS kindergarten programs are full day, most starting at 9 a.m. and dismissing around 3:30 p.m. To enter kindergarten in August, a child must turn 5 years old on or before September 1 of that calendar year. Children entering first grade must have completed public kindergarten or have been approved for entry by FCPS. Whenever possible, parents are encouraged to register their children well in advance of the first day of school so that schools and teachers are prepared to accommodate enrollment.
Parents who do not wish to enroll a 5-year-old in a kindergarten or other approved program may request a Kindergarten One-Year Maturity Waiver. At the end of the waiver year, the student will enter kindergarten rather than first grade. ECE Office will accept K Waiver Forms for the next school year starting on April 1st of the current school year.
Kindergarten Early Entrance
Applications must be received by 4 PM, Wednesday, May 31, 2023
The intent of early entrance is to identify children, who are born within 45 days of the September 1st deadline, (September 2nd – October 16th) and whose capabilities warrant early admission. In order to be considered for the early entrance exception, the child must exhibit significant skills in language arts and mathematics. In addition, information will be gathered to verify the child’s developmental readiness.
Revised Process for 2023-2024
- Review the video that will describe Early Entrance to Kindergarten and explain the process for applying.
- Enrollment opens on March 15.
- Once the Early Childhood Education Office receives the completed online parent application, we will contact you to schedule the assessment.
- Assessments will be held at FCPS Central Office 191 East Street Frederick, MD 21701.
- It is not necessary for children to study or prepare for the early entry assessment.
- The assessment will take approximately 20-30 minutes and will be administered by a trained examiner.
- The assessment is administered only 1 time to each child. Child cannot be retested for any reason.
- The assessment includes a variety of activities that measure each child’s ability in the following domains: Reading/Language Arts, Mathematical Thinking, Personal and Social Emotional Development.