A new elementary school housing grades Pre-K through 5th grade is to be designed and constructed to replace the existing Urbana Elementary School. The location is on the same 19 acre site located at 3554 Urbana Pike Frederick, MD 21704.
The Architect for the new Urbana Elementary School Replacement Project is Grimm and Parker Architects. The new Urbana Elementary School Replacement design will be the 4th version of the current FCPS Elementary School Prototype design that has a State rated capacity of 725 students.
The new UES Replacement will be a multi-story facility comprised of around 100,000 gross square feet (GSF).
The new UES Replacement will be an energy efficient building that meets, at a minimum, USGBC LEED Silver certification requirements, current local building codes of the authorities having jurisdiction and the educational program specifications. The Design is to be performed in accordance with the State of Maryland IAC and DGS requirements.
The Design of this Project began in September 2017 and will continue through December 2018.
Assuming funding is available, we anticipate bidding the Project in two (2) Stages as follows:
- Construction Stage 1 bidding between May – June 2018
- Contract award on July1, 2018 (FY-19)
- Construction Stage 2 being bid between January 2019 and February 2019
- Phase A Contract awards on March 1, 2019
- Phase B Contract awards on July 1, 2019 (FY-20).
The Preliminary Construction Schedule has been developed for a 24 month construction duration as follows:
- Construction Stage 1 beginning on July 1, 2018 and going through February 28, 2019
- Construction Stage 2 Phase A beginning on March 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020
- Construction Stage 2 Phase B beginning on July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020
The Substantial Completion date for Construction is June 30, 2020 and the new school is expected to be open and occupied for school in September 2020.
- Project Scope / Description
- See attached
- Building – 98,178 Total SF
- Project Schedule
- Schematic Design Approved by the BOE and State
- Design Development Approved by the BOE and submitted to the State for approval
- Construction Document Approved by the BOE and submitted to the State for approval
- Construction Stage 1 – August 2017
- Construction Stage 2 – February 2019
- Construction Stage 1 – Complete
- Construction Stage 2 – April 2019 – June 2020
- Substantial Completion – June 30, 2020
- Occupancy – August 2020
- Project Completion – December 31, 2020
- Project Budget
- Total Project Budget – TBA
- Construction Budget – TBA
- Current Status
- Existing UES closed on June 30, 2018
- Existing UES emptied of all contents by July 31, 2018
- Hazardous Material Abatement – August 2018
- Construction Stage 1 begins on September 17, 2018 and is complete by December 21, 2018
- Existing Building Demolition and Site Stabilization
- Construction Phase 2 begins on April 1, 2019 and is complete by June 2020
- New School Construction
- Construction Status
- Hazardous Material Abatement is underway
- Civil – Site Work
- Building Demolition and Site Stabilization complete
- Architectural - TBA
- Structural - TBA
- Mechanical - TBA
- Electrical - TBA