FCPS Expectations for Face Coverings in School Buildings
As we prepare to welcome back more than 43,000 students to FCPS on Wednesday, August 18, the expectations for face coverings for staff, students and visitors will be:
- All staff and students will be required to wear face coverings in our school buildings when students are present. If only adults are in the school building, face coverings are required in situations when social distancing is not feasible. Unvaccinated individuals are strongly encouraged to wear a face covering at all times.
- Staff in office buildings will be required to wear face coverings when physical distancing of six feet is not feasible. Unvaccinated individuals are strongly encouraged to wear a face covering at all times indoors.
- Face coverings will not be required outdoors, but are strongly encouraged for those who are unvaccinated.
- Face coverings will continue to be required on school buses.
- Parents/guardians who seek an exception/accommodation for a student age 2 or older should complete the Student Face-Covering/Accommodations Form and submit it to their school administrator. Students with existing mask accommodations will be honored.
Issues of non-compliance will be handled per FCPS Regulation 400-8 Student Discipline. The discipline regulation provides for progressive discipline for incidents of disruptive or willfully disobedient behavior.
As conditions change, FCPS will update their Expectations for Face Coverings in School Buildings to address continuing health and safety concerns.