Teacher Lane Change
Lane changes due to the completion of educational credits can be requested through HR by submitting your request online.
Certificated Staff - Salary Adjustments for Completion of Education Process
NEW AS OF January 1, 2022
STEP 1: VERIFY THAT YOUR PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION IS UP TO DATE AND ACCURATELY REFLECTS ALL COURSEWORK.
To access/verify Professional Education:
- www.fcps.org, =>For Staff Tab=>Employee Portal=>Employee Self Service
- Sign in with your normal user name and password. You will be prompted to do so twice for security reasons.
- On the blank Oracle page click the drop down Main Menu at top left of the page.
- Go to: =>FCPS Menu=>Employee Self Service=> Personnel Information =>Professional Education
- You will see a list of all post BA credits recorded in your file to date.
- At the bottom of the page, there is a count of graduate credits AND a count of MSDE/undergrad credit. A grand total is also provided.
What should I do if there are courses missing from my Professional Education?
- You can monitor your progress and verify that we’ve entered all your coursework through Employee Self Service. All coursework can be viewed under Professional education.
- If we’ve missed something, contact HR via email (CourseApproval@fcps.org) indicating the Course #, Course Title, the approximate semester/year the coursework was completed, and the college or university where you took the course.
- HR will add the course to your Professional Education upon verification by official transcript.
What must I submit to get credit for the coursework that I have completed?
- Official transcripts are required for ALL salary changes. We cannot accept photocopies, scanned copies, unofficial transcripts or grade reports.
- If you’ve earned a Master’s degree, please ensure that the transcript states that the degree was conferred.
- For a course to be counted toward salary adjustments, you must receive a grade of C or better.
- For courses that are graded S or P (or any grading method other than A, B, C, D, F), you must submit with your transcript an official letter on college letterhead including your name and the course number and course title for which you received the S or P (or non-traditional grade) that states that the grade of S or P for your specific course is equal to a grade of C or better.
STEP 2: VERIFY THAT YOU MEET THE REQUIREMENTS FOR A LANE CHANGE USING THE TABLE BELOW
|Lane 010||Bachelor's Degree|
Approved Master’s Degree OR Completion of 30 Post-baccalaureate credits
3 Yrs teaching experience AND Completion of 45 Post-baccalaureate credits
3 Yrs teaching experience AND Completion of 60 Post-baccalaureate credits
3 Yrs teaching experience AND Completion of 75 Post-baccalaureate credits
3 Yrs teaching experience AND Completion of 90 Post-baccalaureate credits
Other Important Information:
Is there a deadline for submitting documentation for a salary adjustment?
- YES! Salary adjustments are made twice a year, July 1 and February 1.
- The negotiated deadlines for submission are:
|For coursework completed between:||You must submit ALL documentation to HR by:||Your Salary adjustment will go into effect as of: *|
|Feb 1 and August 31||Last workday in September||July 1|
|Sept 1 and January 31||Last workday in February||Feb 1|
*Salary adjustments can take up to 45 business days to process. All pay adjustments reflect the above negotiated dates, not the date processed.
- As long as you’ve met the requirements by the deadline, we will process your lane change retroactively.
- It’s important respond promptly to any requests for additional documentation.
STEP 3: SUBMIT YOUR REQUEST AND DOCUMENTATION BY THE DEADLINES FOR REVIEW FOR SALARY ADJUSTMENT USING THE ONLINE FORM. ACCESS THE FORM HERE.
- Request Form and salary scales can also be found at www.fcps.org under For Staff | Negotiated Agreements
- An automated successfully submitted email confirmation will be sent to you
- You will receive an email informing you that the pay adjustment has been made. You can verify your salary change by going to Employee Self Service.
Do I have to complete a course approval form for all coursework or just for courses for which I want reimbursement?
- IMPORTANT: Our negotiated contracts require approval prior to enrolling in coursework for all coursework or praxis tests, even if you aren’t planning on submitting for tuition reimbursement.
- We verify coursework requests meet specific requirements as determined by COMAR (for certificated staff) and progresses the employee’s skills in either current job or for promotional purposes at FCPS.
- Certificated staff are responsible for knowing the requirements needed for certification renewal. See specific details. If you want us to verify that a specific course will fulfill your certification requirements (i.e. a reading credit requirement), indicate so on your request and we will gladly verify for you.
- Information about tuition benefits, including access to the coursework approval forms are available at FCPS.ORG, under the For Staff section. Click on Human Resources, then Benefits Links and Form and select the Tuition Benefits.
Can't find the answer to your question on this page? Has your lane changed been approved, but your step and lane are incorrect in Employee Self Service? Please email HR.AssignmentNotice@fcps.org.