Welcome. FCPS is currently accepting enrollments for the 2021-2022 school year

Student Enrollment

FCPS provides free public education to eligible Frederick County students ages 4-21. Students are assigned to schools based on their home location. Children who attend a childcare center may attend the school that serves the center unless that school is restricted to out-of-district students due to overcrowding or is in its first year of operation (here's the latest Restricted Schools List).

To Enroll

You may enroll your student by using the secure online enrollment portal.

To enroll your student for THIS school year starting August 2021: click here for English or click here for Spanish.

If you are unable to enroll your student using our online portal, you may download an official FCPS enrollment form and return to your student’s school. Enrollment Form Template: English | Spanish.

NOTE: FCPS offers a Virtual Program option for students, click here for information about the FCPS Blended Virtual Program.  If you would like your child to attend the Virtual Program, please register your child in their home school then contact your child’s school to indicate that you would like your child to attend the Virtual Program.  Before making the decision, be sure to review the expectations for participation in the virtual program; see information linked HERE.

You need to provide the following information to your child’s school.

The required enrollment documentation may be easily uploaded as part of the online enrollment process. Parents who are not able to upload the required enrollment documentation may return those items via US mail to your student’s enrollment building.

  • Immunization and health records, provide BOTH of the following:
  • Proof of date of birth (provide one of these: Birth certificate, physician's certificate, hospital certificate, baptismal or church certificate, parent's affidavit, or passport/visa)
  • Proof of residency (provide one of these: current property tax bill, current rental bill, current utility bill for water, gas, or electric)
  • Parent photo identification

The required enrollment documentation outlined above may be easily uploaded as part of the online enrollment process.  Parents who are not able to upload the required enrollment documentation may return those items via US mail to your student’s enrollment building. 

Often a parent/guardian and child do not own or rent the home in which they live.  If this is your case, then the person who actually owns or rents the home must provide the same proof of residency as listed above (current property tax bill, current rental bill, current utility bill) and must complete and have notarized the FCPS Parent Residence Affidavit Multi-Family form.

FCPS may obtain discipline and expulsion records when a student transfers from another school system. The superintendent may deny admission to a student who is currently expelled from another school system for a period of time equal to the expulsion.

FCPS Regulation 400-7 provides further information about enrolling a student. You may also contact Student Support Services.

FCPS also has an International Office to help non-English speaking families.

FCPS International Office:

International and/or multilingual families who need assistance utilizing the online system for enrollment, please contact the International Office 240-236-8761 (for grades K-5) or 240-236-8765 (for grades 6-12).

The FCPS International Office assists in enrolling students who:

  • Are new immigrants or international students that speak a language other than English
  • Are bilingual or not yet able to speak standard English
  • Have international or foreign transcripts that FCPS needs to evaluate for high school credits

During enrollment, the International Office will administer an English language placement test to determine their level of English proficiency.

When enrolling a student, the FCPS International office can provide notary services and help check and fill out all the paperwork needed at school:

  • Enrollment form
  • Proof of Birth
  • Proof of Residency
  • Immunization Record
  • Home Language Survey
  • Permission for Placement

Additional forms for grades 6-12 only

  • School records
  • Curriculum history
  • Special bus request form (if applicable)

English Learner (EL) services are not mandatory but are highly recommended.  Federal and state law require school systems to offer EL services.

Here is a link with directions to the FCPS International Office:

201 Waverley Drive, Portables 1 & 2
Frederick, MD 21702

Additional information


FCPS offers pre-kindergarten to all students eligible for free or reduced-price meals. To enter Pre-K, a child must turn 4 years old on or before September 1 of a given year. Applications are available at all elementary schools; registration begins in March. Enrollment is limited. More information on pre-kindergarten is available here.

If you are planning to enroll your child with automatic priority status based on free or reduced-price meal eligibility, you will need to submit ONE of these: three consecutive pay stubs from the past six months OR a W2 form showing the prior year's earnings OR a letter from an employer or social services agency (on letterhead) stating the applicant's family income OR foster care documentation.

Bus service is provided to Pre-K students eligible for transportation under FCPS Policy 441 who live in the attendance area of schools where classes are offered. Parents are responsible for the transportation of students whose walking route to and from the school is 1.25 miles or less or who live outside the attendance area of the school where the classes are held.

Inclusive Special Education Pre-Kindergarten

Frederick County Public Schools is offering a unique pre-kindergarten educational program. The  Inclusive Pre-K program is in addition to, and different from our regular pre-kindergarten class. These classes are available at 15 FCPS locations and educate all students using pre-academic standards while implementing Individual Education Programs (IEP) for eligible children who have been identified with a disability. Participation in this program provides opportunities for all students to strengthen their social and academic skills through an inclusive preschool setting.

Inclusive Pre-K Classrooms are available for 3 and 4-year old students who will attend ½ day sessions. Students must be 3 or 4 by September 1st.  Applying for a student to participate as a peer in this program does not guarantee enrollment and students must reapply every year. Parents must provide transportation to and from school and may apply to any location, regardless of residence. The application process is now open and students will be selected via a lottery process.  Please visit our website where specific details are explained.


All FCPS kindergarten programs are full day, most starting at 9 a.m. and dismissing around 3:30 p.m. To enter kindergarten in August, a child must turn 5 years old on or before September 1 of that calendar year. Children entering first grade must have completed public kindergarten or have been approved for entry by FCPS. Whenever possible, parents are encouraged to register their children well in advance of the first day of school so that schools and teachers are prepared to accommodate enrollment.

Parents who do not wish to enroll a 5-year-old in a kindergarten or other approved program may request a 1-year waiver (Waiver Form | Waiver Form in Spanish). At the end of the waiver year, the student will enter kindergarten rather than first grade. ECE Office will accept K Waiver Forms for the next school year starting on April 1st of the current school year.

Early Entrance to Kindergarten

Children can be considered for early entrance to kindergarten if they're born 45 days after the regular kindergarten cutoff. Call your home school to discuss this option. You'll also need to submit information to the office of Early Childhood Education (no later than June 1, 2021) to be considered.

Immunizations and Health Records

The following are required to enroll a student in a Maryland public school for the first time.

Verification of all state-required immunizations, recorded on Department of Health and Mental Hygiene form 896 Immunization Certificate.

Documentation of a recent physical exam, recorded on the Maryland Schools Record of Physical Examination.

Pre-k and kindergarten students may require evidence of blood lead testing if the student resides or has ever resided in an area designated as at-risk by the Maryland Targeting Plan for Childhood Lead Poisoning. The Blood Lead Testing Certificate form 4620 (or another written document signed by a healthcare practitioner) can meet this requirement.

Exemptions from immunizations, a physical examination and blood lead testing are permitted if they are contrary to a students' or family's religious beliefs. Students may also be exempted from immunization requirements if a physician/nurse practitioner or health department official certifies that there is a medical reason for the student not to receive a vaccine.

Lack of these records may cause delayed enrollment or exclusion from school. For assistance in obtaining immunizations or a physical examination, please contact the health staff in your child's school or contact FCPS Health Services.

FCPS encourages medical and dental exams for students entering middle school to help identify health concerns that may affect educational performance. All students who participate in interscholastic sports must have a physical exam before the sport begins.

Out-of-District Transfers

Parents or guardians who want their child to attend a school outside their assigned attendance area should review the 2021-22 Restricted Schools List and Regulations 400-78, Restricting Schools to Out-of-District Transfers and 400-15, Assignment and Transfer of Students.

Out of District Appeal Form

Pursuant to these regulations, the Out of District Transfer process is available for all applicants from January 2 - March 1 each year for the following school year. You can complete your request using the Out of District Transfer Request Form, available in English and Spanish through March 1.

Please Note: Your Out of District Application Form MUST be signed, either electronically or printed, signed and scanned, prior to returning to outofdistrict@fcps.org. You can also send the application via fax to 240-236-2480 or via US mail to Department of Student Services, Orchard Grove Elementary School, 5898 Hannover Drive, Frederick, MD 21703.

Please contact MaryAnn Gomez at (240) 236-2493 or maryann.gomez@fcps.org if you have any questions regarding Out of District Transfers.

Special Open Enrollment for Sabillasville Elementary School

At its April 21, 2021 meeting, the Frederick County Board of Education (Board) voted for Sabillasville Elementary School (SES) to remain open for the 2021-22 school year while a Board committee explores options for SES to remain open beyond the 2021-22 school year. Additionally, the board voted to allow open enrollment of out of district students at SES with the possibility of providing special transportation from one or two hub locations in Frederick County.

The result of this decision is that elementary students have the option to be enrolled at SES out of district for the 2021-22 school year, and parents/guardians may request that FCPS provide transportation.  Please be aware that FCPS provided transportation is not guaranteed and will only be provided if there is sufficient interest to warrant it as practicable.  Decisions regarding transportation requests will be communicated as soon as possible after Friday, June 4, 2021.

If you wish to request an out of district enrollment for your child to SES for the 2021-22 school year, please complete the Special Open Enrollment for Sabillasville Elementary School form and return it to Corrina Nobis, Pupil Personnel Worker, via email at Corrina.Nobis@fcps.org by Friday, June 4, 2021. Questions regarding this opportunity may also be directed to Ms. Nobis at 240-236-8890.

Non-resident students

Families who wish to have their children attend Frederick County Public Schools but live in another Maryland county or outside the state of Maryland, must complete a Non-Resident application and a tuition fee will be charged. Please click here to access the Non-Resident application. Please contact Cathy Zier, Department of Student Services, 301-644-5238, for an estimate of the tuition charges.

Students in State-Supervised Care

State law and regulations govern the transfer of educational records for students who are in the custody of, committed to or otherwise placed by a placement agency, such as a local department of social services. For more information, contact Student Support Services.

Student Information Card

School offices maintain a Student Information Card for every child and refer to it anytime there is a question, concern or emergency. The form is printed with previously supplied information for each student and sent home at the beginning of the school year to be reviewed, corrected and returned.

Schools also request that you fill out a Health Information Card for your child. We send this form home at the start of every school year or when you enroll.


FCPS does not have insurance coverage for students' personal property. Students are responsible for their personal property. Limited student accident insurance may be purchased through a company approved to offer the program through Maryland schools. A football accident policy is also available. Consult with your insurance agent to see if policies you already hold provide adequate coverage. FCPS does not endorse these programs and does not handle claims or associated problems.

The Maryland Children's Health Program offers health insurance for children up to age 19 and pregnant women of any age from low to average income families. Applications are available in school health rooms or by contacting the Frederick County Health Department.

Foreign Exchange Students

Frederick County Public Schools value the benefits of welcoming foreign exchange students through the Council on Standards for International Educational Travel (CSIET), as these experiences contribute to the diversity of our classrooms and schools. However, given the current global pandemic, the safety and well-being of our students, teachers, and staff must remain our priority at this time. Further, providing FCPS resident students with the best educational supports must also be a priority as we enter the 2021-2022 school year. As a result, we will not be accepting foreign exchange students for the 2021- 2022 school year.