FCPS Reopening Updates
* Para ver esta información en español, utilice la función “Google Translate” en la parte inferior de esta página.
Tuesday, June 23, 2020
Please see the revised MSDE recovery plan, Maryland Together: Maryland's Recovery Plan for Education June 2020.
Wednesday, June 10, 2020
The COVID-19 pandemic crisis will continue to impact the operation of schools and educational programs during the 2020-2021 school year. As we plan for the reopening of our schools, FCPS is committed to:
- Prioritizing the safety and health of students, employees, and families.
- Making all decisions through an equity lens.
- Providing high quality instruction and maximizing face-to-face interaction to the greatest extent possible.
- Supporting the social-emotional well-being of students and staff.
- Communicating concisely, accurately, and frequently.
- Engaging stakeholders in the decision-making process as appropriate.
- Deploying resources strategically while adapting to ever-changing conditions and requirements.
- Returning to full operational status as quickly as possible when safe health conditions exist.
FCPS has convened four work groups of key stakeholders to develop components of the reopening plan that align with the guidance provided by the Maryland State Department of Education and the Center for Disease Control. That guidance can be accessed through the links below:
http://marylandpublicschools.org/newsroom/Documents/MSDERecoveryPlan.pdf [please see above for the latest plan]
The Logistics Work Group is focusing on safe operational procedures for transportation, meals, and use of the buildings. The Instructional Work Group is examining scheduling options, instructional options, and the effective use of resources to support learning. The Special Services and Student Support Work Group is identifying strategies necessary to ensure each and every student receives the support needed to be successful for the school year. The Employee Relations and Communications Work Group is focusing on changes in policy and regulation due to the pandemic crisis that impact staff and students as well as developing a communication plan to keep all stakeholders informed. In addition to these work groups, a Parent Advisory Group has been formed to provide feedback to each work group as plans are developed.
In July, we will share opportunities for the community to provide feedback on the draft Reopening Plan. This pandemic crisis has taught us that conditions can rapidly change and our plans must be fluid so that we can adapt to changing guidance and mandates to ensure public health and safety. We will post the draft plan and additional resources on the FCPS website. Please continue to check in frequently for the latest updates.
FCPS Draft Plan for Reopening and Advancing Forward
FCPS COVID-19 Return To Play
Frederick County Public Schools
- Important FCPS Athletics Update - FCPS Find Our First - June 22, 2020
- Sports and Extracurricular Activities - FCPS Find Out First - June 16, 2020
Incoming freshmen, students new to FCPS, and students who did not participate in a sport last school year must provide documentation of a sports physical dated April 1, 2020 or after.
Returning student-athletes may use documentation of a sports physical from this past school year (April 1, 2019 or after) or preferably provide one for the upcoming school year (April 1, 2020 or after).
*All students will be required to have a sports physical dated April 1, 2020 or after to participate in 2020-2021 fall, winter and spring sports. Fall sports are scheduled to begin on Wednesday, August 12, 2020.
Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association (MPSSAA) and Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE)
- MPSSAA Roadmap for Return to Interscholastic Athletics (COVID-19 updates) - July 7, 2020
- Maryland Together: Maryland's Recovery Plan for Education (June 2020)
- Pages 11-12: Item 13
- Pages 35-37: Roadmap for Return to Interscholastic Athletics
- Memo - COMAR Exemptions - June 23, 2020
- Memo: Interscholastic Athletics Update - June 11, 2020
Frederick News Post
- FCPS committee aims for July 13 sports restart - June 23, 2020
- FCPS forms Return to Play committee with hopes of summer workouts, fall season - June 16, 2020
Return to Play Committee
RTP Committee's Guiding Principle: The health and safety of FCPS student-athletes, coaches and all other athletic-related stakeholders will drive all decision-making of the RTP committee.
- *Mr. Kevin Kendro, Supervisor of Athletics & Extracurricular Activities, FCPS
- Dr. Daniel Lippy, Director of School Management, FCPS
- Mrs. Kathleen Schlappal, Instructional Director of High Schools, FCPS
- Dr. Randall Culpepper, Deputy Health Officer & Director of HCC, Frederick County Health Department
- *Dr. Nima Hendi, Pediatrician, The Pediatric Center of Frederick
- *Ms. Jenifer Waters, Health Service Specialist, FCPS
- Mrs. Tracey Kibler, Principal, Governor Thomas Johnson High School
- Mr. Fred Punturiero, Transportation Director, FCPS
- Ms. Deb Huffman, Use of Facilities Coordinator, FCPS
- Mrs. Kimberly Hirshmann, (Secondary) Visual and Performing Arts Curriculum Specialist, FCPS
- Mr. John Karos, Marching Band Director, Tuscarora High School
- Mr. Larry Phillips, Custodial Services Manager, FCPS
- *Mr. Preston Anderson, Lead FCPS Athletic Trainer, Pivot Physical Therapy
- Mr. Howie Putterman, Athletic Director, Tuscarora High School
- Mr. Keith Bruck, Athletic Director, Catoctin High School
- Mr. Mike Chavez, Coordinator of Athletics, Extracurricular Activities, Facilities and Campus Improvement, Gov. Thomas Johnson High School
- Mr. Kurt Stein, Head Football Coach, Oakdale High School
- Mrs. AJ Stuart, Head Field Hockey and Girls Tennis Coach, Urbana High School
- Mr. Emonte Hill, Head Boys Basketball Coach, Frederick High School
- Mr. CJ Ecalono, Head Girls Cross Country, Girls Indoor Track and Field and Girls Outdoor Track and Field Coach, Urbana High School
- Mrs. Michelle Hill, Special Olympics MD Unified Sports Coordinator, Frederick County
- *Mrs. Theresa Wisner, Administrative Secretary, Athletics & Extracurricular Activities, FCPS
* Member of FCPS’ Sports Medicine Advisory Committee