Coach Hiring Information
Please review these frequently asked questions before applying to coach sports for FCPS.
To apply, interested applicants should complete and submit an online application available HERE (opens in new window). Selected candidates will be invited to appear for an interview. Reasonable accommodations for the interview will be provided with advanced request.
*Note: All coaches must provide verification of completion of the Care & Prevention of Athletic Injuries (opens in new window) class and evidence of current CPR-AED certification (opens in new window).
In addition, all coaches must complete the following NFHS free courses:
- Concussion in Sports (opens in new window)(must be completed every 2 years)
- Heat Illness Prevention (opens in new window)(must be completed once)
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest (opens in new window)(must be completed once)
TEACHER (CERTIFIED) COACHES
Completed online coach application.
- Fingerprinting and tax forms already processed.
EMERGENCY (PAID) AND VOLUNTEER (UNPAID) COACHES
- Completed online coach application.
- Two (2) forms of original ID (Drivers License AND either an original Social Security card or Birth Certificate, or unexpired Passport.) – does not apply to teachers already in system.
- We strongly encourage tax forms completed in case status changes from volunteer (unpaid) to emergency (paid) – can be completed upon arrival.
- Prepare to be fingerprinted.
All emergency coaches are required to become a credentialed coach prior to the start of his/her fourth year as an emergency coach.
To become a credentialed coach, you must:
- Complete the NFHS Fundamentals of Coaching course (click here) (opens in new window),
- Complete the FCPS Coach Leadership class,
- Complete two successful years as a FCPS Emergency Coach (FCPS Coach Evaluation)
- Complete the Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries class, and
- Complete a sport-specific or teaching sports skills course (an NFHS course (opens in new window) is preferred)
Fingerprinting Hours at 191 South East Street
Tuesdays 8:00-10:30 a.m. and 1:30-3:30 p.m.
Thursdays 8:30-10:30 a.m. and 1:30-3:30 p.m.
Fingerprinting Fees for Coaches
Volunteer coaches: $15
Paid coaches: $15
(Payment must be in the form of a check or money order. No cash will be accepted.)
Once an offer is made, you will be provided with a fingerprinting letter from the Office of Athletics and Extracurricular Activities. You must present this letter at the time you are fingerprinted.
NFHS Course - Fundamentals of Coaching
FCPS coaches are encouraged to complete a Fundamentals of Coaching (opens in new window) online course available
through the NFHS Learning Center
COMAR 13A.06.03 Interscholastic Athletics in the State (Adobe PDF File, opens in new window)