You can find a playlist of all Board Committee meetings on our YouTube channel.
As stated in Board Policy 101, the Board believes that public schools are strengthened when communities are actively engaged in the education process. In support of this belief, the Board is committed to providing advisory committees which allow interested community members to serve and to provide input to the Board in the following areas. (see vacancies below)
- Board of Education Policy Committee -- To identify a process for development of policies and amendments to serve as guidelines for the operation of the school system and the successful, efficient function of the public schools. Contact the BOE Policy Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Calendar Committee -- Makes recommendations of a school calendar to the Board with the goals of maximizing consistent instructional time for students, opportunities for professional growth for teachers and increasing student achievement.
- Citizens Advisory Council (CAC) -- The Board establishes the CAC as a standing committee which reports directly to the Board and serves as a channel for public concerns, advice and information as identified by the Board. The CAC may also respond to specific requests for research, at the direction of the majority of the Board, and make recommendations on specific topics impacting educational decisions and programs in Frederick County. The CAC exists as a subsidiary of the Board and as such may not act independently of the Board or inconsistently with policy or direction provided by the Board. Contact the Citizens Advisory Council at CAC@fcps.org
- Curriculum and Instruction Committee -- Reviews new curriculum, instructional programs, state or federal legislation which affects curriculum, instruction or school administration, and provides recommendations as appropriate to the Board. Contact the Curriculum and Instruction Committee at FCPSCurriculumMtg@fcps.org.
- Ethics Panel – Provides advisory opinions, investigates complaints alleging an ethics violation by the Superintendent or a Board member and reports its findings and recommendations for action to the Board, and reviews annual disclosure statements.
- Family Life Advisory Committee (FLAC) -- Reviews instructional material to be submitted to the Superintendent for consideration when recommending instructional material to be approved by the Board, taking into consideration the sensitive nature of comprehensive family life and HIV prevention education in schools.
- Frederick County Career and Technical Education Advisory Council -- Serves as the overall career and technology education advisory body for FCPS and Frederick Community College; purpose is to advise, support and foster closer Board Policy 101 Page 2 cooperation and better understanding of career and technical education in industry, community, home and school.
- Frederick County Public Schools Gifts for Education Committee -- Advises the board on matters pertaining to funds generated through the Endowment Fund, the Donor Restricted Projects Fund and the Current Initiative Fund for the exclusive purpose of meeting educational goals within FCPS to enrich students' learning experiences and ensure the highest quality education.
- Investment Committee -- The purpose of the Investment Committee is to manage the investment of funds in the FCPS employees' Other Post-Employment Benefits (OPEB) trust fund. The committee will hire an outside professional investment manager to assist them in this process. The committee is responsible for ensuring the funds are invested in accordance with the BOE Investment Policy.
- Racial Equity Committee -- The Racial Equity Committee will focus on identifying discrimination or harassment, raising awareness of implicit bias, and eliminating or mitigating racial inequity or its effects across the entire school system. The Racial Equity Committee will make recommendations to the Board on aspects related to racial equity and the equity policy within all educational programs of Frederick County Public Schools (FCPS). Contact the Racial Equity Committee at FCPSRacialEquity@fcps.org
- Special Education Citizens Advisory Committee (SECAC) -- Advises the Special Education Department and the Board regarding the needs of students with disabilities within FCPS. Contact the Special Education Citizens Advisory Committee at SECACInformation@fcps.org
Board of Education Policy Committee Vacancies
The Board of Education Policy Committee is not accepting vacancy applications at this time.
The Board of Education announces openings to serve on this year's FCPS Calendar Committee to form the proposed 2025-2026 school year calendar. The Calendar Committee seeks applicants from each of the following areas:
- A parent to represent the Linganore High School feeder pattern.
- A parent to represent the Frederick High School feeder pattern.
- A parent to represent the Charter Schools.
- A current FCPS-enrolled student.
Interested applicants should complete and submit the Calendar Committee application by following the link below no later than September 8, 2023.
For additional information, please contact Kathryn Rich, Executive Assistant to the Board by emailing Kathryn.Rich@fcps.org and/or visit www.fcps.org/calendar to read how the school calendar is determined.
Citizens Advisory Council Vacancies
The Citizens Advisory Council is not accepting vacancy applications a this time.
Curriculum and Instruction Committee Vacancies
The Curriculum and Instruction Committee is not accepting vacancy applications at this time.
Ethics Panel Vacancies
The Ethics Panel is not accepting vacancy applications at this time.
Family Life Advisory Committee Vacancies
The Family Life Advisory Committee is not accepting vacancy applications at this time.
Frederick County Career and Technology Advisory Council Vacancies
The Frederick County Career and Technology Advisory Council is not accepting vacancy applications at this time.
Frederick County Public Schools Gifts for Education Committee Vacancies
The Frederick County Public Schools Gifts for Education Committee is not accepting proposals at this time.
Investment Committee Vacancies
The Board of Education of Frederick County is not accepting vacancy applications at this time.
Racial Equity Committee Vacancies
The Racial Equity Committee is not accepting vacancy applications at this time.
Special Education Citizens Advisory Committee (SECAC) Vacancies
The FCPS Special Education Citizens Advisory Committee (SECAC) is not seeking vacancies at this time.