FCPS transports about 30,000 students every school day. The walking distance to bus stops is no more than 0.5 miles. Parents are responsible for overseeing students as they walk to school or transporting them if the most practical, direct walking route to school is 1.25 miles or less for grades pre-K through 5 (except at primary schools) or 1.75 miles or less for grades 6-12 (the Superintendent can allow exceptions for safety). Parents of students enrolled in a school outside their attendance area are responsible for transporting their children (see FCPS Policy 441).
Students may ride only their assigned bus. Inviting friends home on the bus makes it hard for schools and bus drivers to account for students and can cause bus capacity problems. In an emergency, principals may approve a parent's request to allow a child to ride another bus (bus drivers will need a note signed by the parent and school administration).
Transportation to jobs, social meetings, and other non-school events is a parental responsibility. If a bus needs to return a student to school for any reason, the school will notify their parent or guardian.
Schools must use FCPS vehicles to transport students from school to school, from school to extracurricular activities and on field trips. With written parent permission, principals may allow students to travel in vehicles driven by FCPS employees or authorized parents or, in the case of high school students, to drive themselves. Students can't drive other students to school-sponsored activities.
Director of Transportation
AT THE BUS STOP
- Parents are responsible for the safety and conduct of their children from the time the children leave home until they board the school bus, and from the time they leave the bus until they reach home at the end of the day. Students can be disciplined for conduct at the bus stop if they jeopardize the safety of others or disrupt school operations.
- Students should be at their bus stop at least 5 minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
- Students should act safely and stand back from the roadway until the bus stops completely. Only then should they move toward the bus.
- At the bus stop, students must respect the property of people who live nearby. No rough play, shoving or pushing. Parents are legally responsible for their children at the bus stop and are also liable for any damage they cause.
- Students should get off the bus only at their designated stops.
- When crossing the roadway to enter or exit a bus, students should walk approximately 10 feet in front of the bus and never behind it and cross only when the driver signals that all is clear.
- Once buses start moving during school dismissal, students are not to chase or attempt to board them.
- Students who miss the bus will need to find other transportation.
- Pre-K and kindergarten students must have visible adult supervision when they depart the bus.
Transportation Managers and School Assignments
Phone: 301-644-5104; Fax: 301-644-5382
Deer Crossing ES, Glade ES, Governor Thomas Johnson HS, Governor Thomas Johnson MS, Monocacy ES, Monocacy MS, New Midway/Woodsboro ES, North Frederick ES, Oakdale ES, Oakdale HS, Oakdale MS, Spring Ridge ES, Walkersville ES, Walkersville HS, Walkersville MS, Waverley ES, Yellow Springs ES
Phone: 301-644-5374; Fax: 301-644-5382
Special Needs, ELL, Forbush (Montgomery), Hannah Moore, Harbor School, Ivy Mount, Jefferson School, Kennedy Krieger (Baltimore & Montgomery), Laurel Hall/Brooklane, Linwood Center, MSB (Baltimore), MSD (Columbia & Frederick), Pyramid Program, RICA (Rockville & Catonsville), Rock Creek, Walkersville B Success, Youth in Transition
Phone: 301-644-5354; Fax: 301-644-5382
Phone: 301-644-5365; Fax: 301-644-5382
Centerville ES, Green Valley ES, Kemptown ES, Liberty ES, Linganore HS, New Market ES, New Market MS, Twin Ridge ES, Urbana ES, Urbana HS, Urbana MS, Windsor Knolls MS
Phone: 301-644-5370; Fax: 301-644-5382
Ballenger Creek ES, Ballenger Creek MS, Brunswick ES, Brunswick HS, Brunswick MS, Carroll Manor ES, Crestwood MS, Frederick HS, Hillcrest ES, Lincoln ES, Orchard Grove ES, Parkway ES, Title 1 Program, Tuscarora ES, Tuscarora HS, Valley ES, West Frederick MS, Whittier ES
Phone: 301-644-5375; Fax: 301-644-5382
Catoctin HS, Emmitsburg ES, Lewistown ES, Middletown ES, Middletown HS, Middletown MS, Middletown Primary, Mother Seton, Myersville ES, Sabillasville ES, Thurmont ES, Thurmont MS, Thurmont Primary, Wolfsville ES