The Frederick County Health Department employs and supervises registered nurses and health room technicians, who work in collaboration with FCPS for providing school health services to:
- promote healthy lifestyles
- prevent student health problems, injuries and illnesses
- help students with health needs to access their educational program
- facilitate student access to primary health care
- educate students, staff and the community regarding health and well being
For health-related questions or concerns, parents/guardians may call the school nurse or the Frederick County Health Department at 301-600-3312.
Medications / Treatments
If medication or treatment is necessary during the school day, the parent/guardian(s) must provide a written order from the student’s healthcare provider for all prescription and over-the-counter medications or treatments.
Medications must be transported by an adult and provided to the school in the pharmacy bottle, correctly and completely labeled. Over-the-counter medication must be in the original, unopened container. Medications sent in envelopes, plastic bags or daily reminder containers cannot be administered.
FCPS Health Policies & Procedures
Health Services Specialist
Department of Health and Mental Hygiene's Back to School Immunization Requirement (opens in new window)