Family Life Advisory Committee
The Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) 13A.04.18.01(A) require that each school system provide comprehensive family life and HIV prevention education to students in schools as part of comprehensive health education. Given the sensitive nature of such programs, the regulations also require each local school system to consult with members of the community in developing, implementing and evaluating the program, using both a system wide citizen advisory committee and local school/community planning groups.
In accordance with COMAR regulations, a system-wide Family Life Education Advisory Committee and individual school planning groups are being employed to ensure that members of the community are consulted about Frederick County Public Schools’ family life education program. This process helps assure that up-to-date, content-accurate, age-appropriate curricula and materials are available for classroom instruction.
The Family Life Advisory Committee:
- Examines all instructional materials being presented in identifiable unit(s) within the total health education program proposed to be used in the schools. The committee’s recommendations shall be submitted to the superintendent of schools and the Board of Education for final action. The school system shall use its existing procedures for evaluating reading levels, factual content, and general suitability of material for different levels of instructions. (COMAR 13.A.04.18.01(F)(3)(a))
- Consults with the professional educators charged with developing, implementing and evaluating the program.
- Examines all instructional materials proposed for use in HIV & AIDS prevention education curriculum. Recommendations from this committee shall be submitted to the superintendent of schools and the Board of Education for final action.
- Provides input into the development and implementation of grants to support comprehensive family life and HIV & AIDS prevention programs, as appropriate.
- Submits minutes of each meeting to the members of the Board of Education.
- Submits written reports and recommendations to the Curriculum Committee and the Board of Education, as appropriate.
View the full bylaws of the Family Life Advisory Committee Here (Adobe PDF File, opens in new window).