To Our FCPS Community:
Over the past week, we have heard from members of our community requesting support and communication related to the conflict occurring in the Middle East affecting Israelis and Palestinians.
During moments such as this, we want to express our deep concern for those affected by this conflict, and the toll these events take on the lives of innocent people, particularly our children. We also recognize the importance of supporting the mental and emotional well-being of our students and staff during challenging times. To that end, FCPS is providing resources to support teachers, students, and school communities in discussions about the current conflicts. Our counseling and support services are available to anyone who needs assistance in processing their feelings or concerns related to global conflicts or any other matter affecting them personally.
Families may find the following resources helpful when having conversations with their child(ren) about local and global conflicts:
- AACAP (September, 2023). Terrorism And War: How To Talk To Children
- Child Development Institute (n.d.). How To Talk To Kids About Tragedies In The Media
- Common Sense Media (March 9, 2019). How To Talk To Kids About Violence, Crime, and War
- Newman, Kira M. & Suttie, Jill (May, 2022). Greater Good Science Center. Nine Tips For Talking With Kids About Trauma
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network (n.d.). Talking To Children About War
- UNICEF Parenting (n.d.). How To Talk To Your Children About Conflict & War
In the face of global conflicts, it’s our commitment to each other that makes us stronger. Together, we can learn and grow, promoting a culture of unity and peace within our schools and our community.
Thank you for being a part of the FCPS community. Together, we can and will make a difference.
Cheryl L. Dyson