School Meals Frequently Asked Questions for 2022-23
1. Are meals free for all students in SY 2022-2023?
No. The federal waivers that existed during the pandemic that allowed free meals to all students regardless of need are expired. Meal service and prices will go back to the way they were in 2019 before the pandemic.
2. What is the cost of meals for SY 22-23?
- Breakfast and lunch meals are free to students who qualify for free or reduced-price meals.
- Adult meals are $4.25.
- Milk purchased a la carte (not as part of a meal) is $0.60.
3. Why are students who qualify for reduced-price meals getting free meals?
Maryland State is covering the cost indefinitely of meals for students who qualify for reduced-price meals.
4. How do we apply for free or reduced price meals?
Visit our website www.fcpsnutrition.com and click on the link to apply. Parameters to qualify for free or reduced-price meals can be found in our press release. Some families will receive an email or letter stating they do not have to fill out an application because they have already been qualified or directly certified by Maryland State because they are receiving other government assistance. If you are not sure if you qualify or have already been approved, please call the Food and Nutrition Services office at 301-644-5061
5. Can my children still eat school meals if they don’t qualify for free or reduced price meals?
Of course! Refer to Question 2 above to see the cost of breakfast and lunch for different grade levels. You can create an account and add money to a student’s meal account using My School Bucks or you can send in cash or a check with your student and the food service cashier will add the money to their meal account.
6. I heard that the students who got free meals last year will continue to get free meal this year until September 29th. Will all kids get free meals until September 29 since all kids ate for free last school year?
No. The 30 day grace period (September 29th is the 30th day of the new 2022-2023 school year) only applies to children who were approved for free or reduced-price meals in school year 2021-2022 because they applied for and were approved for free or reduced-price meals or because they were directly certified by Maryland State because they received other government assistance. All other students who were not approved by the federal meal benefits program will pay full price for their meals starting August 17, 2022 (refer to the second question above to see the cost of breakfast and lunch for different grade levels). Any child who has not applied for and been approved for free or reduced-price meals or has not been directly certified by Maryland State by September 29th will be charged for meals starting September 30th. We have 10 business days to process an application once it is received online.