School Meals Frequently Asked Questions for 2023-24
1. What is the cost of meals for SY 2023-24?
- Breakfast and lunch meals are free to students who qualify for free or reduced-price meals.
- Adult meals are $4.25.
- Milk purchased a la carte (not as part of a meal) is $0.60.
2. Why are students who qualify for reduced-price meals getting free meals?
Maryland State continues to cover the meal cost for students who qualify for reduced-price meals.
3. How do we apply for free or reduced-price meals?
Visit the new FCPS Food Service online parent portal at www.linqconnect.com and click on Start Meal Application. Parameters to qualify for free or reduced-price meals can be found in our press release. Some families will receive an email or letter stating they do not have to fill out an application because they have already been qualified or directly certified by Maryland State because they are receiving other government assistance. If you are not sure if you qualify or have already been approved, please call the Food and Nutrition Services office at 301-644-5061
4. Can my children still eat school meals if they don’t qualify for free or reduced-price meals?
Of course! Refer to Question 1 above to see the cost of breakfast and lunch for different grade levels. You can register for a parent account on www.linqconnect.com and use that to add money to your student’s meal account. There are NO processing fees this school year to add money to a meal account! You can also choose to send in cash or a check with your student and the food service cashier will add the money to their meal account.
5. I heard that the students who were approved for free or reduced-price meals last year will continue to get free meals for a period of time this year. How long will my students receive free meals when school starts in August?
Students who were approved for free or reduced-price meals last school year have a 30-day grace period during which they continue to receive free meals. Thursday, October 5th is the 30th day of the new 2023-2024 school year. Meal benefits from SY’23 will expire on Friday, October 6th and any child who has not applied for and been approved for free or reduced-price meals or has not been directly certified by Maryland State by October 5th will be charged for meals starting October 6th (Refer to Question 1 above to see the cost of breakfast and lunch for different grade levels.) FCPS Food Service has 10 business days to process an application once it is received online. If your student was directly certified last school year, please check with the Food Service office at 301-644-5061 to confirm your status before completing an online application.