Mind Brain Education (MBE)
Mind Brain Education (MBE) or The Science of Learning is the intersection of neuroscience, psychology, and education to identify research-informed practices that can be used to promote student achievement. FCPS is the only public school system in the state of Maryland to explicitly include MBE in all levels of curriculum, all levels of induction programming, and throughout MSDE coursework. From the primary grades through adult professional learning opportunities, learners are exposed to the concept of learning mindsets (growth mindset, mindset of belonging, mindset of purpose and relevance) and the neuroplasticity of the brain. All educators are brain changers and all educators need to know how the brain best learns, works, grows, and thrives.
Through our collaborative work with the Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning (CTTL), FCPS has created varied opportunities for teachers and other staff to learn about MBE. We offer specialized opportunities based on the needs and goals of different staff groups. We facilitate short term professional learning sessions as well as long-term virtual and face-to-face opportunities for deeper learning. FCPS has welcomed researchers and authors from around the world to share their knowledge and increase our understanding of how to implement research-informed practices with all learners. Other schools and districts look to FCPS as a model of bringing the work of Mind Brain Education to scale in a large
public school system.
Many opportunities are available to FCPS teachers to build their understanding of how the brain learns:
- Explicit Infusion in induction coursework in The RISE Induction Experience Years 1, 2 and 3
- Access to Neuroteach Global (a digital professional learning platform) through the FCPS Induction Program
- Book studies focusing on MBE resources
- FCPS MBE Placemat of research-informed strategies separated into three focus areas
- Four MSDE courses for either 1 or 2 credits connected to the foci from the FCPS placemat
- MBE Micro-credential conveying growth and application of MBE knowledge
- Mentors and Master Teachers working with new hires in a leadership role also receive resources and opportunities