Superintendent Dr. Cheryl L. Dyson
Dr. Cheryl L. Dyson is in her second year as superintendent for Frederick County Public Schools, where the core mission is supporting every child, every day.
Dr. Dyson is focused on raising expectations and achieving results to create favorable outcomes for all students. She embraces a “you said, we did” approach to student, employee, and community feedback. Dr. Dyson is dedicated to listening and acting with intention.
After meeting with students, staff and community members Dr. Dyson established five systemic goals for FCPS:
- Having an organizational culture of achievement, with a focus on providing high- quality teaching and providing successful outcomes for all learners.
- Maintaining operational excellence, by creating and utilizing organizational systems and structures that address system and school needs.
- Providing effective intervention strategies for all students, with a focus on evaluating Special Education, including adding 80 additional special education positions.
- Developing timely, transparent and concrete ways for families to engage FCPS and provide feedback.
- Implementing practices and procedures that ensure the safety and well-being of students and staff.
Dr. Dyson is honored to serve as superintendent in her home state and in the community where she earned her Doctorate in Organizational Leadership at Hood College in Frederick. Dr. Dyson also earned a Bachelor of Arts in Communications from Towson University and a Master of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Maryland at College Park.
Prior to joining FCPS, Dr. Dyson served as an MCPS associate superintendent, where she supervised 70 schools. During her 25 years in public education, Dr. Dyson has served as a classroom teacher, school-based administrator and Central Office leader.
Contact the Superintendent