A new elementary school housing grades Pre-K through 5th is to be designed and constructed to replace the existing Urbana Elementary School. The location is on the same 19-acre site located at 3544 Urbana Pike, Frederick, MD 21704.
The architect for the new Urbana Elementary School replacement project is Grimm and Parker Architects. The design will be the fourth version of the current FCPS elementary school prototype design that has a state rated capacity (SRC) of 725 students.
The new Urbana Elementary School will be a multi-story facility comprised totaling 98,178 gross square feet (GSF).
The Urbana Elementary School replacement will be an energy efficient building that meets, at a minimum, USGBC LEED Silver certification requirements.
The design of this project began in September 2017 and was completed in December 2018.
The project team anticipates bidding the project in two stages as shown below:
- Construction Stage 1
- Contract awarded on July 1, 2018 (FY19)
- Construction Stage 2 was bid between January 2019 and February 2019
- Phase A contract awarded on March 1, 2019
- Phase B contract will be awarded on July 1, 2019 (FY20)
The preliminary construction schedule has been developed for a 24-month construction duration as follows:
- Construction Stage 1 beginning on July 1, 2018 and going though February 28, 2019.
- Construction Stage 2 (Phase A) beginning on March 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020.
- Construction Stage 2 (Phase B) beginning on July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020.
The substantial completion data for construction is June 30, 2020. The new school is expected to be open and occupied in September 2020.