Board Approved LOU Redistricting Attendance Boundaries
The Board of Education approved revisions to existing attendance boundaries, establishing attendance areas for the new Sugarloaf and Blue Heron elementary schools. In addition, the Board approved other adjustments to existing elementary, middle and high school attendance areas to establish feeder patterns for the new schools and to address school capacity issues.
Changes to the Centerville, Urbana, Green Valley and Twin Ridge elementary schools will go into effect for the 2020-2021 school year. Changes to the Liberty, New Market, Deer Crossing, Oakdale and Spring Ridge elementary schools attendance areas will go into effect for the 2021-2022 school year. All changes to the middle and high school attendance areas will go into effect for the 2020-2021 school year. See the changes to the elementary, middle and high school attendance areas below.
For detailed approved attendance boundary maps, please see the interactive map below.
In addition to revising existing attendance boundaries, the Board of Education also voted to:
- Modify Planning Block (PB) 187 to include the two parcels inadvertently excluded;
- Develop a process for existing PB 86 and 177 residents to request an out of district transfer until the student completes middle and high school;
- Move PB 56 from the LHS back to UHS attendance area;
- Allow grandfathering of rising 8th, 10th, 11th, and 12th graders to remain at their current school. Rising 8th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students must live in the redistricted area on the date of the Board decision (October 16, 2019) to be eligible for the grandfathering provision. Siblings of grandfathered students that are not in one of the four grades are excluded from grandfathering.
- Implement the plan for welcoming new students who will be transitioning from one school to another.
To read the Board's decision, go to: http://go.boarddocs.com/mabe/fcps/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=BGSRAB6C8177.
FCPS will send a letter to students eligible for the grandfathering provision by October 28, explaining the process for those who wish to use the grandfathering option. The deadline to notify FCPS if you are going to select the grandfathering option is Friday, November 15, 4 PM. Look for details in the letter.
FCPS will send letters to all families impacted by the redistricting in November.