Crestwood Area Redistricting Study
Addendum to the Superintendent's Recommendation
The Superintendent’s recommendation for the Crestwood Area Redistricting Study was presented to the Board of Education on May 3, 2023. Four community meetings were also held in May to present the recommendation to the school communities and receive comments. In response to community comments, the Board of Education directed staff to prepare alternatives to the Superintendent’s recommendation for Board consideration.
FCPS staff evaluated multiple alternatives addressing community comments received to date while also considering the factors included in Board of Education Policy 200. However, not all of the alternatives were able to address all of the comments while at the same time adequately addressing the factors found in the Board of Education’s Policy.
Three of the alternatives considered were found to address most of the comments while at the same time meeting many of the Board Policy 200 factors. The Addendum to the Superintendent's Recommendation summarizes the Superintendent’s recommendation and identifies the changes to existing attendance boundaries for each of the three new alternatives and highlights how the factors found in the Board Policy were considered. It is important to note that neighborhoods not impacted in the Superintendent’s initial recommendation may be impacted in one or more of the new alternatives.
- Addendum to the Crestwood Area Redistricting Study - Superintendent's Recommendation
- Anexo al Estudio de Redistribución de Distritos del Área de Crestwood - Recomendación del Superintendente
- Crestwood Area Redistricting Study: Addendum Summary
- Interactive Map
Click here to open the interactive map. Enter your address in the search button in the upper-left corner of the map and you will be taken to your property. A pop-up box will tell you your current and recommended attendance areas for the Superintendent's Recommendation and each alternative.
Facilities Planning Department
Addendum to the FCPS Crestwood Area Redistricting Study Superintendent’s Recommendation
Anexo a la recomendación de la superint. para el estudio de redistritación del área de Crestwood
The schedule for the study:
- BOE establishes scope of work and study area – October 2022
- FCPS staff gathers and evaluates data – December 2022 – March 2023
- Community engagement – March – November 2023
- Superintendent’s recommended attendance boundaries presented to BOE – May 2023
- Community meetings – September 6, 7 and 11, 2023
- BOE workshop – September 27, 2023
- BOE Public Hearing – November 1, 2023
- BOE Virtual Work Session- November 16, 2023
- BOE Anticipated Action – December 6, 2023
- Implementation of revised attendance boundaries – August 2024
- Link to BoardDocs
- Crestwood Area Redistricting Report (very large file may take a moment to load)
- Informe de Redistribución de Distritos del Área de Crestwood (archivo muy grande puede tardar unos momentos en cargarse)
- Interactive Map
Click here to open the interactive map. Enter your address in the search button in the upper-left corner of the map and you will be taken to your property. A pop-up box will tell you your current and recommended attendance areas and will indicate if you are affected by a proposed change in attendance area(s).
All meetings are open to all school communities who are included in the redistricting study area.
Sign language or English language interpreting services can be provided for meetings and public hearings. Please go to https://www.fcps.org/special-education/sign-language-interpreting-request-process for more information.
FCPS understands the significant impact a redistricting has on multiple school communities, families and students. We have heard the request for consideration of additional options and the need for additional community meetings to comment on any new options. Staff worked with the Board of Education to revise the redistricting study schedule. The Board of Education public hearing is now scheduled for November 1, 2023 with the decision scheduled for the Board’s December 6, 2023 meeting. The next round of community meetings to present alternatives to the Superintendent’s recommendation have been scheduled for September. Dates and locations are shown below.
We're sorry, no events were found for this calendar.
Summary of Community Comments and Questions
- May 8, 2023 community meeting at Orchard Grove ES
Escuela Primaria Orchard Grove, 8 de mayo de 2023
- May 11, 2023 community meeting at Crestwood MS
Escuela Media Crestwood, 11 de mayo de 2023
- May 15, 2023 community meeting at Waverley ES
Escuela Primaria Waverley, 15 de mayo de 2023
- May 22, 2023 community meeting at Monocacy MS
Escuela Media Monocacy, 22 de mayo de 2023
- September 6, 2023 community meeting at Tuscarora HS*
- September 7, 2023 community meeting at Frederick HS*
- September 11, 2023 community meeting at Gov. Thomas Johnson HS*
*Spanish translations of these documents will be posted as soon as the translations are completed.
Scope of Work
The purpose of this redistricting study is to adjust attendance boundaries between Crestwood, Ballenger Creek, Gov. Thomas Johnson (west of the Monocacy River), West Frederick, and Monocacy middle schools in order to balance enrollments between these schools once the addition to Crestwood MS has been completed. This redistricting is in conjunction with an addition to Crestwood Middle. Elementary schools included in this redistricting study are Ballenger Creek, Butterfly Ridge, Carroll Manor, Hillcrest, Lewistown (Monocacy Middle school feeder portion), Lincoln, Monocacy, North Frederick, Orchard Grove, Parkway, Spring Ridge (west of the Monocacy River), Tuscarora, Waverley, Whittier, and Yellow Springs; high schools included in this study are Frederick, Governor Thomas Johnson (west of the Monocacy River), and Tuscarora. These elementary and high school boundaries will be adjusted as necessary to preserve feeder patterns.
FCPS facilities planning staff will lead the redistricting study. Transportation, fiscal services, curriculum, and communication staff, as well as school administration, will also assist with the study. The redistricting study will be guided by Board of Education Policy 200 and Regulation 100-02.
Board of Education Video Presentation, May 3, 2023
To access the subtitles in another language, press the “CC” button, then press the “Settings” button, select “Subtitles” then “Auto Translate” and choose the desired language.